Planting and taking care of a vegetable or herb garden is very rewarding. After all, who wouldn’t love harvesting freshly grown veggies in your own backyard?
However, if you have a clay, sand, or other difficult soil, gardening can be a bit of a challenge.
You need to make sure the soil is fully prepared first by adding more fertilizer and helping get it to the right pH level in order for your vegetables to thrive.
DIY Raised Garden Beds Ideas
Or… you could do it the easy way and use a simple raised garden bed(s).
There’s no question that using raised garden beds are popular for even the experienced gardener. Not only do these beds look stunning in your garden, it also makes the workload of tending to your garden easier.
For some ideas on what herbs to grow in raised bed check out the post below:
You Might Also Like: 7 Herbs That Grow Well Together In Pots And Containers
When you start thinking of raised bed garden ideas you’ll want to consider these benefits:
Easier On Your Back And Body
Kneeling, bending, and stooping, can take a toll on your back, body, and joints.
Since raised garden boxes and beds come in different sizes and shapes, it makes reaching your crops much easier on you and causes fewer back problems.
Helps Control Pests And Weeds
Critters and pests will nibble on your crops — but if you choose raised garden beds, the issues can be less of a challenge.
You can also install some copper slug fences to deter pests from ruining your crops.
If weeds are your problem, you can place a weed barrier such as landscape fabric underneath your bed’s soil is a good idea to prevent weeds from invading your garden.
Requires Less Tilling
Compared to traditional in-ground beds, raised garden beds require less tilling.
Instead of digging up the compacted beds every year at planting time, you can just turn over the top layer of soil and add compost and other soil amendments to the top of the elevated bed and you’re ready to go.
If over watering is one of your garden’s problem, using raised garden beds can help with proper drainage.
These elevated beds lift the soil above ground level. As a result, it gives the plants’ roots more room to breath.
How To Build A Raised Garden Bed
The beauty of building your garden bed projects is that you can do it in two ways: By buying a ready made garden bed or by building your own with concrete blocks, cement blocks, and railroad ties. There are so many great options to choose from.
Buying or building your own garden bed is cheap. While building a DIY raised traditional garden bed is cheaper, if you don’t have any experience building, it might be more economical and less stressful to look into raised garden bed kits and do it yourself.
If you’re purchasing ready made raised garden beds, be sure to consider the type of materials they are made of such as:
Natural Wood Garden Beds
When you begin your raised garden bed planning you’ll want to choose the right material. The least expensive raised garden kits are made of raw, treated lumber, or natural wood materials.
Cedar is the most commonly used wood for raised garden bed plans. It’s durable and more resistant to rotting. It’s also lighter, compared to other woods.
Make sure to think about where you’ll build your bed(s) and what size they need to be. Be sure to allow room all the way around the beds so you can easily reach in to tend your garden(s).
Here are some great choices to get you started and get your creative juices flowing:
- Long-lasting raised garden beds made from rot resistant thick Western Red Cedar Boards
- Easy assembly: Raised beds assemble in minutes, no tools required
- Superior strength: No screws or nails to loosen from swelling and shrinking of wood
- Perfect height to grow vegetables and all natural (no chemical treatment was applied to the wood)
- Made in the USA from naturally rot- and insect-resistant cedar. The wood is 100% chemical free
- Boards slide into the corner posts without tools forming a secure garden frame. To install the decorative tops simply use a screw driver.
- Stacking 2 of these makes your garden 21 inches tall.
- Package contains 21 boards, 6 corner posts, 6 decorative tops (6 screws for tops) and instructions
- The 2 ft. x 8 ft. x 10.5 in. Cedar Raised Garden Bed allows you to grow all you favorites including deep-root vegetables
- Assembling this kit is a snap: simply slide the boards into the joints to form your frame, attach the caps, and add your soil and plants. The easiest way to creating the garden of your dreams
- Raised garden bed kit proudly made in homer glen, Illinois USA
- Constructed of select western red cedar
- Handcrafted mortise & tenon joinery
- Easy to assemble in seconds, no tools required
- 100% natural and chemical free, also safe for vegetables and best for organic gardening
- The storage garden space of this plant bed is ample enough to plant vegetables, herbs and flowers or some deep-rooted plant. Besides, it can kindly keep and maintain moisture for plant inside and two frames are good for classifying different plant and enable plants and their own food don’t affect with each other.
- Wood material will keep durable, warped or splinter and fade. This will save cost for you. Besides, the fence shape is convenient for you to take care of plant or water them.
- The whole construction is made of long-lasting solid fir wood which is stable and durable enough to strongly support the weight from the garden bed itself and plant.
- This plant bed can be placed not only at patios, porches, decks, or garden. It features nice looking and practical function. Not only can it serve as a decorative work but also fully plays its practical role.
- This garden bed planter is separated into two growing outdoor area for different plants or planting methods. The baffle can be removed to create a bigger growing area if needed. You can get several garden beds to design and build your own dream garden.
- With this helpful planter, you can cultivate plants like vegetable, flowers, herbs in your patio, yard, garden and greenhouse, and make them more convenient to manage.
- This raised garden bed is made of no paint, non-toxic fir wood. The boards are only sanded to prevent any undesired injury caused by wood splinters. 1.5cm/ 0.6’’ thick solid wood boards are joined and fixed by screws, making it a durable piece for your long-term use.
- This raised garden bed is built in a simple yet stable structure which is very easy and quick to set up.
- A single piece of side plate: Comparing to other planting beds that have several small pieces of wooden plates at the side, our planting raised bed has a piece of complete side plate at each side of the garden bed. It is fixed firmly without leakage of soil. The whole structure is very stable, and the installation is very easy.
- Natural & elaborate material: The raised garden bed is made of non-paint and non-toxic natural cedar wood which is known for its strength and stability as well as its natural resistance to rot and pests. The thick and solid boards are polished well to prevent any undesired injury caused by wood splinters.
- 2 Tiers & versatile: This wooden planter features 2 tiers for planting and storing. You can cultivate lots of plants, like vegetables, flowers, herbs in your patio, yard, garden, and greenhouse. Also, the lower shelf can be used for storage and display to put some planting tools and other accessories there.
- Nice-looking gardening accessory: The natural wood color makes your garden and greenhouse more original and healthy, and its natural wood grain on the boards bring a rustic and natural style to your garden.
- User-friendly design: Due to its 76cm/30” height, the people who have a backache or knee pain can easily manage plants, no need to bend down or keep down.
- Easy-to-assemble: This vegetable garden bed is designed in a simple but stable structure, which is very easy and quick to put together. Necessary hardware and instruction are included.
- EASY MOBILITY: Built with a set of locking wheels to move the planter from place to place and capture the right amounts of sun and shade
- ERGONOMIC STRUCTURE: Stands 30 inches tall, making it perfect for those who struggle to bend down or lean over while gardening
- GARDEN BED LINER: Separates wood from the soil, keeping planter in excellent condition and preventing weeds and pests from interfering with plant growth
- MAXIMIZE SPACE: Get the most out of your planting and storage space thanks to the large bed with a built-in storage shelf for your favorite garden accessories
- 4 DRAINAGE HOLES: Allows excess water to drain out, preventing root rot and oversaturation while keeping the soil fresh.
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48″(L) x 23.25″(W) x 32″(H); Weight Capacity: 100 lbs.
TIP ALERT: No Tools? No problem!
Going the DIY garden bed project route, but you don’t have the tools needed to create your own DIY raised garden box?
Oldcastle Planter Wall Tan Retaining Wall Blocks are easy to use. These wood pieces can be assembled in any size you choose.
- Simply slide in 2 x 6 wooden boards into the side slats to create a wall or border – the boards can be cut to create different configurations
- Can be stacked up to 2 feet high
- Easy assembly – rod bars may be used to fix blocks in the ground and deck screws can be used to attach a wood capping
- Completely garden safe
- Color, dimension, weight and texture may slightly vary due to natural materials used during manufacturing
- Easily creates straight and curved walls
Metal easy DIY garden beds are sturdy and light weight. They can easily compliment your landscape and showcase your plants.
Raised garden beds that are made of metal also bring a modern and industrial vibe to your veggie garden.
If you are working with a small space or only want a small garden, a great idea for you would be to get planter boxes like this one. It also has the added benefit of storage underneath.
- BUILT-IN WHEELS: 2 wheels on one side and a handle bar on the other make it easy to move this garden bed from one garden area to another; 2-wheel composition also ensures a sturdier fixture than 4-wheel beds
- SUFFICIENT BED SPACE: Store plenty of soil in a plant bed that stretches approximately 38 inches long, providing enough space for plants, vegetables, and herbs to grow to their full potential
- DURABLE, COMPACT DESIGN: Crafted entirely of scratch-resistant, powder-coated metal, with a space-saving design ideal for placement on your balcony or other small spaces around your home
- STORAGE SHELF: Place soil bags, pots, and more on the ventilated storage shelf at the bottom of the garden bed; a pair of hooks are built into the side for easy access to tools and other accessories
- DRAINAGE HOLE: Help prevent root rot and maintain the perfect amount of hydration for your soil and plants with a drainage hole on each end of the bed – located diagonally from each other for balanced draining.
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 37.5″(L) x 15.75″(W) x 31.5″(H); Weight Capacity: 100 lbs.
- SIZE: 40-1/2″ L x 15-1/2″ W x 31-1/2″ H overall, planting box: 37-1/2″ L x 15-1/2″ W x 8″ deep, holds about 2.5 cubic feet soil, provide ample growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- ERGONOMIC: Elevated raised planter box with legs eliminates the need to bend over, making gardening convenient. Raised garden bed on wheels, move to anywhere you want, with handy shelf holds accessories or tools
- METAL: Made of stable galvanized steel raised garden bed with anti-rusty grey coating, not made of untreated wood which may rot. It can place outside or indoor for long time use
- DRAINAGE: In the middle of the cart is a drainage hole and drainage line to prevent waterlogging, planter can planted directly in the bed
- EASY SETUP: Space saving standing planter only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- SIZE: 96”(L) x 48”(W) x 12”(H), provide extra large growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- Made of stable thickened galvanized metal, strengthen crossbar with anti-rusty coating for long-time use
- Sits on the ground garden bed, provide good drainage, keep weeds away from soil, defense against pests, and protect your plants
- Bottomless design, plants didn’t touch the metal and eco-friendly coating do not contaminate soil, safe for plants and humans.
- Only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- Product Size: 83″L x 35.5″W x 12″H
- Product Volume: 17.83 Cu. Ft.
- Suitable for planting vegetables, flowers, and plants in your courtyard.
- Made of galvanized metal plate, wave structure and oval shape.
- Beautiful, stable, and durable.
- Dimension: 3FT x 3FT x 1.3FT/ 40”x 40”x 15.4” with Open Button.
- Durable: Made of stable thickened galvanized metal, strengthen crossbar with anti-rusty coating for long-time use.
- Extra Height：1.3FT extra height will encourage plant roots to grow stronger and healthier.
- Raised Garden Bed: Anti-rust, durable, sturdy, and long-lasting frame.
- Size: 68.1″(L) x 35.4″(W) x 11.8″(H), provide sufficient space to grow vegetables, flowers or other plants
- Durable: Made of galvanized metal, corner and frame are reinforced, more stable and durable, can be used for a long time
- Bottomless Frame: Provide a good drainage effect, make the soil more permeable to protect the plant root, so the plants would grow better
- ECO-friendly: Environmental protection coating will not pollute the soil, so plants will be safer and healthier
- Easy Assembly: Can be easily assembled without additional tools
Plastics Or Polyethylene
Another type of material that a lot of gardeners choose, thanks to its durability, is plastic.
Raised garden beds that are made of plastic, specifically recycled plastic, are longer lasting. They are relatively low maintenance, as well.
Plus, these types of kits are easier to build and generally don’t require any tools to put together.
- This 4 ft by 4 ft garden bed is constructed of high density polyethylene; will not rot, chip, crack, or peel
- Easy do it yourself assembly requires no tools; full garden set up takes less than one hour
- Designed to absorb and retain the needed soil warmth for deep root system development
- Walls are 9 inches high and two can be stacked to create 18 inch high box; can also be used as a child’s sandbox
- Stylish simulated wood design; backed by a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty
- This planter took only about 10 minutes to put together. The white planter box is an excellent addition to your backyard
- These are very sturdy raised garden bed with a depth of 12 inches to give roots room to grow. Besides, if you have two garden bed, it can easy stack to create a single 24″ tall garden bed
- It bring a lot of joy growing your veggies, not to mention the curb appeal it added to your yard. These would be nice filled with flowers as well, white color is attractive and clean looking
- VINGLI raised garden bed is made of HDPE materials with ground nails, make the planting box more stable. The four corner brackets are prepared for keep the panels in place
- It perfectly fits for planting a variety of plants such as vegetables, flowers and fruits etc. This garden bed is great for adding some beauty to your outside areas
- The Easy Picker is the ultimate raised bed gardening system. The unit is mobile and features four swivel casters for easy transport and sun tracking that works great in areas with limited space.
- The self-contained system of the Easy Picker is self-watering. It automatically waters plants by wicking moisture from its 2-gallon water reservoir and has water overflow holes to prevent overwatering. Additionally, plants rest above an aeration screen that enhances the oxygen flow to plant roots and encourages faster growth, which allows you to grow more with less effort.
- The Easy Picker is perfect for homeowners with limited space who wish to grow plants and vegetables. It is less expensive than large, traditional raised bed gardens and can be used to introduce people to gardening with minimal investment. Even users in tight urban areas can use the Easy Picker, as you can grow vegetables in small spaces, such as fire escapes or rooftop verandas.
- The Easy Picker alleviates weed growth by having its own self-contained soil system. A mulch cover is included to further prevent the development of weeds.
- With its convenient elevated height of 30”, homeowners can tend to their plants while standing. This eliminates the need for kneeling, stooping, or bending, so you can enjoy gardening without difficulty. This feature is ideal for seniors and wheel chair users.
- The city picker is the ultimate raised bed gardening system. The unit is mobile and features four swivel casters for easy transport and sun tracking that works great in areas with limited space. The unit is perfect for patios, apartments, or even fire escapes
- Grow your favorite fruits, vegetables or flowers – grow your favorites, or try something new with a city picker! Tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, herbs, beans, and much more. Can all be grown wherever there’s sunlight. Just add potting mix, seedlings, and water.
- Each unit includes easy to Follow instructions.
- Self-watering & improved aeration – the self-contained system of the city picker is self-Watering. It automatically waters plants by wicking moisture from its 2-gallon water reservoir and has water overflow holes to prevent overwatering. Additionally, plants rest above an aeration screen that enhances the oxygen flow to plant roots and encourages faster growth, which allows you to grow More with less effort.
- It is a space-saver. The city picker is perfect for homeowners with limited space who wish to grow plants and vegetables. It is less expensive than large, traditional raised bed gardens and can be used to introduce people to gardening with minimal investment. Even users in tight urban areas can use a city picker, as you can grow vegetables in small spaces, such as fire escapes or rooftop verandas
- The City picker alleviates weed growth by having its own self-contained soil system. A mulch cover is included to further prevent the development of weeds.
- 【Sturdy & Durable Frame】The overall design of the vertical raised garden bed uses a triangular stable structure, and the whole frame is made of rust-proof high-quality galvanized steel, weather resistant, which greatly guarantees the stability and durability of the entire garden bed.
- 【5-layer Flower Pots Design】The raised garden bed has a total of 5 layers of raised garden bed. The size of a single flowerpot is 19.9*8.3*6.5 inches, which has enough space to grow various fruits, vegetables, flowers, green dill and other plants. Each layer of planter bed can bear a weight of 33 lbs.
- 【Food Grade Materials】Our planter box is made of 100% new polypropylene material, which is safety and harmless and does not contain BPA, can be safely placed indoors. Waterproof and durable, easy to clean. No assembly is required, just place it on the frame and start planting at any time.
- 【Enjoy your Gardening Life】The vertical five-layer outdoor planters frame design is ergonomic, especially suitable for middle-aged to plant their favorite plants without bending over. Can be widely used in gardens, patios, porches, balconies to grow vegetables, flowers, fruits, herbs, etc. Add a touch of nature to your family.
- 【Easy to Assemble in Minutes】We have attached installation instruction, and provide the tools for installation as a gift. Each part of the fabric raised garden beds for vegetables is marked. According to the instructions, it can be assembled quickly without any electric tools in 15 minutes.
You Might Also Like: How Much Soil Do I Need?
Get The Most Out Of Your Raised Garden Beds
Whatever kind of material you choose to use, raised garden beds are beneficial to growing your own crops without the added stress and strain to your body.
In order to get the most of your raised beds, make sure to:
- When adding soil to raised beds use the best soil possible. Avoid using topsoil for your raised garden bed soil layers as it is usually lacking in nutrients that your garden needs. When buying soil, choose something that is labeled “triple mix” which is a combination of peat moss, topsoil, and compost or a garden soil. This will be great for your soil amendments for raised beds and won’t leave you asking how to amend raised bed soil.
- Avoid adding anything to your garden beds that might contain seed weeds such as unfinished compost or unprocessed manure as a fertilizer.
- To create a better condition for your plant’s roots, especially if the soil underneath your garden beds were never used for gardening, prepare it by turning it over to a depth of about 16 inches. This will allow the roots to have extra depth when growing.
- Problem with burrowing pests? Add a layer of hardware cloth or fine metal mesh across the bottom of your raised garden bed.
- To stimulate plant growth, consider worm castings. It can help in retaining water, too.
- To get the maximum yields, plant crops in triangles, not by rows. This allows you to fit 10 percent more plants in each garden beds. They also prevent tight spacing, which stresses plants, making them more susceptible to insects and diseases.
If your garden’s soil is not nutrient dense, using a raised garden bed is ideal. It allows you to raise and harvest vegetables without the complex and more expensive route of heavily amending the soil in your backyard.
This way you won’t be asking what to add to raised bed soil in spring and questions about amending raised bed soil.
Have you ever had a raised bed? Share your experience in the comments below.
The price(s)listed here was the current price(s) at the time this post went live. Prices at Amazon change quickly. So, always know that when you go to Amazon, you will need to check the price before you purchase.:az:
You can also find gardening products I use in my videos here <---
You can go to my storefront using this secure link <----
If you need seeds, this is the company I use <--- and if you use code: farmer1 at checkout, you'll get 10% off your order!