Do I Need Plant Watering Globes?
Are you heading out for a vacation or are you always away from home due to work?
While taking care of plants can be a stress reliever, help with the indoor air quality, as well as add beauty to your home, if you don’t give them what they need, they will begin to wilt and unfortunately die.
If you want your indoor plants or house plants to grow beautifully or to keep your outdoor vegetable garden healthy, you need to have a consistent watering schedule. Even if you’re out and about, you can still keep your plants watered consistently: With the help of Watering Globes!
You might also like: Tools For Watering Your Garden Better – Must Have
What Is A Watering Globe?
A plant watering globe or aqua globe is a decorative yet practical container of water that you can insert into the plant container. It helps in preventing both over watering and under watering the plants. It does this by giving a steady dose of water. They’re usually made of glass or plastic. The most popular would be glass globes.
It has a small opening for the water to move through and provide your plant with the water it needs when it is needed. This small opening keeps the water from pouring out of the water reservoir and drowning your plants.
As the soil becomes dry, the roots pull the water from the plant watering glass ball. The roots and the dry soil absorb an appropriate amount of water from the globe then stops the rate of water flow which helps the water remain inside the globe for later use by the plant.
What Are The Advantages Of Using Them?
There are many reasons a lot of gardeners, whether newbies or experts, are choosing to use a plant self-watering globe.
They Are Inexpensive
There are a lot of budget-friendly plant watering globes and they come in many different sizes. You can choose the more expensive glass watering globes or you can get the cheaper one made of plastic.
Here are some of the most recommended plant watering globes you can try:
Blazin’ Bison Indoor Plant Watering Globes
Wyndham House House System 3-Piece Globe Set
Alotm 10-Piece Plant Watering Bulbs
MyLifeUNIT Plant Watering Globes
KiKiHome Plant Waterer Self Watering Globes
They Look Attractive
Unlike other watering devices which can be an eyesore or do not fit your garden decor, or are too difficult to install, these watering bulbs look attractive and are simple to use.
They are made of glass and plastic and come in different colors, shapes, and patterns. There are even those that come with designs at the globes.
They Are Easy To Use
Using these plant watering globes doesn’t require a complicated list of instructions.
They are really easy and quick to use. You don’t have to move the plant pots from their normal positions to use them.
You also don’t need to attach it to an external water supply or electronics. You just need to simply place it in your pot.
How To Use A Plant Watering Globe
- Fill the plant watering globe with water until it is two-thirds full.
- Using your finger, make a small hole at an angle in the soil or your plant container. This hole will minimize the amount of soil that gets inside the long neck.
- Place the stem of the plant watering globe into the hole you made. Push it deep enough to make the globe stable. You could buy plastic tubes so can put the glass spike in a plastic tube and the tube stays in the dirt.
- When you see the globe is empty, take it out of the soil or container. You need to do periodic cleaning you do this by cleaning the soil out of the stem using a toothpick or narrow pipe cleaner then fill it with water and place it back again. You can also use baking soda on the globe then add some lemon juice.
Do I Still Need To Water My Plants Even If I’m Using A Plant Watering Globe?
Yes you do!
The plant watering globe helps reduce the amount of time you need to spend watering your thirsty plants, but you still need to water and take care of them.
Tap water can build up in the soil and eventually, it can harm the roots.
Watering your plants on a regular basis will help remove the salts from the soil and keep your plants healthier.
You might also like: How To Rescue Over Watered Plants
What Should I Keep In Mind When Using Plant Watering Globes?
A plant watering globe can make the plant pot or container off balance.
If it’s your first time using these aqua globes, pay attention to it. You can also try these tips:
- Start by using less water.
- Increase the angle that the globe is pushed into the soil.
- Use a second watering globe to balance the weight and make the container more stable.
Help! My Watering Globe Is Clogged!
One of the issues you might encounter when using these watering globes is clogging.
When you take them out of the soil, you might find soil clogging the stem of the globe.
The trick here is easy: Use a toothpick, a wooden skewer, or a Q-tip to unclog it.
Also, be sure to make a hole in the soil before you insert your watering globe into the container. This will prevent the plant’s soil from being forced up into the neck once you insert it. It will also reduce the risk of breaking the watering globe when you place it in your garden or container.
Are There Also Alternatives To Using Watering Globes?
There are a number of alternatives to supply water to your plants when you’re unable to.
Try any of these items for a perfect alternative:
- Use a self watering planter.
- Set up an old school water wick: Wick to a bucket of water or jug. You can make small holes on the sides of any milk jugs and bury it entirely next to your plant, you can also do this with wine bottles
- Place the plant in a watering tray with capillary matting.
- Create a DIY Drip System.
- Program an electronic watering system.
- Simply take an old glass bottle like beer bottles, glass soda bottles, plastic water bottles, or litre bottles fill it up with water, flip it upside down and jam the bottle neck into the soil. A turn release maybe helpful.
I think watering glass bulbs are worth a try. They are inexpensive alternatives to make sure that your plants get enough water even if you’re away.
Have you used watering globes? Are they worth the effort? What are your thoughts? Share them in the comments below.
Leave a Reply